FOCUSED FOR WORK
According to LinkedIn’s “Workplace Learning Report,” soft skills are the No. 1 priority for talent development. Further, a LinkedIn study found that hiring managers indicated their company’s productivity was limited due to a lack of candidates’ soft skills.
According to World Economic Forum research, there are 10 soft skills that employees should have by 2020: complex problem solving, critical thinking, creativity, people management, coordinating with others, emotional intelligence, judgment and decision-making, service orientation, negotiation and cognitive flexibility.
“The No. 1 problem with today’s young workforce is the soft skills gap,” “It runs across the entire workforce — among workers with technical skills that are in great demand, every bit as much as workers without technical skills.” Soft skills are key to individuals’ success in the workplace and are a competitive differentiator in the marketplace. “They’re the source of a huge amount of power that is always right there hiding in plain sight — a tremendous reservoir of often untapped value — a secret weapon for any smart organization, team, leader or individual performer,”
Research shows that emotional intelligence matters twice as much as IQ or technical skills in job success. Data has revealed that proved factors such as self-confidence, self-awareness, self-control, commitment and integrity not only create more successful employees but also more successful companies. Source: Working with Emotional Intelligence.
The Focused For Work Module was developed to provide solutions for individuals to be prepared for the workplace. In this course I want to provide for you my personal experience as a manager and trainer for UniLever (10 years) and The Coca-Cola Company for over 27 years. I was able to equip and train multiple regions in both people skills and essential soft skills based on the DISC personalized behavioral profile. What I heard from many of my colleagues before I trained them was that most behavioral analysis they took in the past told me “who” I was but not “what” to do with it in the workplace.
I was able to provide the solutions for them in the workplace when it came to enhancing communication with others, collaboration in teams, reducing conflict, increasing confidence and creativity. This became my passion to take my experience and create the Focus Life Institute to help individuals be prepared for the workplace in the following areas:
- People Skills is defined as “the ability to communicate effectively with people in a friendly way, especially in business” or personal effectiveness skills. You will gain an understanding of self and how to identify the behavioral style of others. This course will provide you with the cognitive flexibility to adapt your personal behavior in response to changes in the workplace environment. You will learn how to “blend” your style and “get in sync” with others by providing the behavioral tactics and methods to be incorporated into their professional and personal life.
- Soft Skills are defined as a combination of people skills, social skills, communication skills, character traits, attitudes, career attribute, social intelligence and emotional intelligence quotients among others that enable people to navigate their environment, work well with others, perform well, and achieve their goals. The Collins English Dictionary defines the term “soft skills” as “desirable qualities for certain forms of employment that do not depend on acquired knowledge: they include common sense, the ability to deal with people, and a positive flexible attitude. In this lesson, we will utilize your personal behavioral style and provide you with solutions in the following 6 core competencies: communication, collaboration, conflict resolution, confidence, creativity and character.
- Behavioral Interview and DISC – In this session we will review the behavioral interview and how to use your personality style to get in sync with the interviewer. This information will help you in the interviewing process and provide you the tools to secure your desired job.
- Critical Thinking Skills are defined as making reasoned judgments that are logical and well-thought out. In this lesson, we will review how to stay focused in your life by teaching you how to create a focused environment, where to focus your energy and efforts to achieve your goals. In addition, you will gain insight in how to make better quality decision and solve problems in the workplace.
- Values and Character Development: Values are defined as person’s principles or standards of behavior. We have lost many values in our society however, employers are looking to hire and promote those individuals that have a high value system. Character is defined as the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual. In this lesson, we will review and define The H.E.R.O.E.S. Effect which provides instructions of how to apply the values of H – Honor, E – Excellence, R – Responsibility, O – Order, E – Expectation and S – Servanthood. These are lacking in the workplace to motivate employees to go beyond what they are asked to do and increasing productivity, efficiency and profitability.
- Leadership Development and Peak Performance: We lack leadership and you will be equipped on the traits of leaders and how to set personal objectives, goals, and strategies for your future.
These skills that you will be learn in this course will help you in understanding the positive differences in personal relationships both in your personal and professional life.